This is revealing, from Left Foot Forward. Mr Crabb has been linked to the Conservative leadership contest. Do you want this kind of man running the country?
Stephen Crabb is, despite his roots, no friend of the working class. The dry language of the online register of votes says it well. On welfare and benefits, Crabb has:
- Consistently voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms, (which Labour describe as the ‘bedroom tax’)
- Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
- Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
- Consistently voted for making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support
- Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
- Almost always voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed
And that’s just for starters.
He voted against a bankers’ bonus tax, though he has voted for higher taxes on banks.
Oh, and he’s voted consistently for a crackdown on trade unions, backing every restriction on union activities proposed by the government.
Join the Vox Political Facebook page.
If you have appreciated this article, don’t forget to share it using the buttons at the bottom of this page. Politics is about everybody – so let’s try to get everybody involved!
Vox Political needs your help!
If you want to support this site
(but don’t want to give your money to advertisers)
you can make a one-off donation here:
Buy Vox Political books so we can continue
fighting for the facts.
Health Warning: Government! is now available
in either print or eBook format here:
The first collection, Strong Words and Hard Times,
is still available in either print or eBook format here: