Severely disabled woman ‘will die’ if estate’s security intercom isn’t fixed

Crane House, on the Pelican Estate, Peckham [Image: Southwark News].

Crane House, on the Pelican Estate, Peckham [Image: Southwark News].

The only silver lining to this story’s metaphorical cloud is that at least Ms Duggan-Chamekh isn’t dealing with the Department for Work and Pensions.

She therefore has a slightly higher chance of survival.

“A severely disabled woman “will die” if her desperately-needed medication can’t be delivered to her flat, because her estate’s intercom has been broken for five weeks.Susan Duggan-Chamekh lives on her own in Crane House of the Pelican Estate.

The 52-year-old needs pharmacists to deliver twelve types of daily medication to her flat, which help ease symptoms associated with her spinal arthritis, cancer, and recent brain aneurysm.

She told the [Southwark] News she has called Southwark Council four or five times per week since September 4 to get her intercom system fixed.

Source: Severely disabled woman relying on medication home deliveries ‘will die’ if estate’s security intercom isn’t fixed after five weeks – Southwark News


Join the Vox Political Facebook page.

If you have appreciated this article, don’t forget to share it using the buttons at the bottom of this page. Politics is about everybody – so let’s try to get everybody involved!

Vox Political needs your help!
If you want to support this site
but don’t want to give your money to advertisers)
you can make a one-off donation here:

Donate Button with Credit Cards

Buy Vox Political books so we can continue
fighting for the facts.

The Livingstone Presumption is now available
in eBook format here:

HWG eBook

Health Warning: Government! is now available
in either print or eBook format here:

HWG PrintHWG eBook

The first collection, Strong Words and Hard Times,
is still available in either print or eBook format here:


7 thoughts on “Severely disabled woman ‘will die’ if estate’s security intercom isn’t fixed

  1. joanna

    I remember when I lived in high rise flats, before I left the Hull city council replaced the wide doors which opened with a pac key, with a narrow, very heavy, non automatic door. The thing is there are old peole who can’t possible open the door without struggle, if at all!
    and people who have prams and wheelchairs don’t have a chance!!!

  2. Barry Davies

    Can’t agree less with your claim that dealing with the DWP will aid her in any way, this after all is the department that has “outsourced” benefit assessments to companies who make a profit by denying people their rightful access to benefits. This is the Department with many outstanding claims and complaints of causing deaths to the most vulnerable.

    1. Mike Sivier Post author

      I wasn’t saying she would get help from the DWP. I was saying it’s a good thing that she ISN’T in a dispute with that department because, if she was, her chances of survival would be significantly reduced.

  3. Dez

    Sounds like Councils need to have a priority call out identification system as some of the Electricity suppliers are now introducing as part of their learnings from the major winter supply failures. Unfortunately with the massive cut backs in Council budgets Councils have still to work out what is important to the Councils population ie rubbish collections, library services, mayors limo, councillors expenses increases……

  4. casalealex

    Severely disabled woman ‘will die’ if estate’s security intercom isn’t fixed

    Crane House, on the Pelican Estate, Peckham


    Dear Customer
    Thank you for contacting Southwark housing repairs. This e-mail is to confirm that we have received your request and an officer will get back to you as soon as possible.
    For emergency repairs that need immediate attention, please call the Contact Centre on 0800 952 4444 or 020 7525 2600.
    If your request is regarding a key or a fob, please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
    All non-emergency repairs can be reported on our website 24/7. Visit to find useful information about the councils’ repairs service, including forms, updates on block issues and procedures.
    Log into your My Southwark account to get personalised information, track your requests and find self-serve forms that already have your details. UseMy Southwark to update your contact details and to discover the range of services we offer. Sign-up by going to
    We hope you find this information helpful. Please continue to report all non-emergency repairs via e-mail or online and, where possible, use the phone service for emergencies only.
    Contact Centre
    Southwark Council 

Comments are closed.