The Huffington Post UK analysed Office for National Statistics figures that show how steel and other heavy industries have haemorrhaged jobs since comparable records began in 1978 – a span that has included Tory, Labour and coalition governments have been in charge.
1. Textiles: 350,000 Jobs Lost
2. Car Manufacturing: 330,000 Jobs Lost
3. Steel Making: 315,000 Jobs Lost
4. Coal Mining: 158,000 Jobs Lost
5. Farming: 142,000 Jobs Lost
6. Ship, Train And Plane Manufacturing: 138,000 Jobs Lost
7. Tin Mining: 52,000 Jobs Lost
8. Fishing: 9,000 Jobs Lost
Join the Vox Political Facebook page.
If you have appreciated this article, don’t forget to share it using the buttons at the bottom of this page. Politics is about everybody – so let’s try to get everybody involved!
Vox Political needs your help!
If you want to support this site
(but don’t want to give your money to advertisers)
you can make a one-off donation here:
Buy Vox Political books so we can continue
fighting for the facts.
Health Warning: Government! is now available
in either print or eBook format here:
The first collection, Strong Words and Hard Times,
is still available in either print or eBook format here: