This is insanity.
I’ve raised it before – and had some very strange responses: there is no sense in vaccinating millions of people against Covid-19 if NHS workers like nurses – who are more likely to meet the infected than anyone – don’t get their jabs.
I can only hope that somebody made sure the people actually administering the injections have had their own but even that can’t be guaranteed with the Tory lunatics in charge.
The Tories had promised to immunise all 15 million people in the top four priority groups by next Monday (February 15). The media are reporting that they are in danger of missing that deadline – but Tory decisions already mean it is well and truly missed.
The decision to concentrate on giving only one jab and then making people wait 12 weeks means people simply aren’t being immunised; Pfizer is on the record as saying waiting longer than six weeks renders the first injection void.
And now we find that up to 75,000 nurses have been overlooked, meaning they could contract the virus themselves or – worse – infect patients.
Here’s The Guardian:
A Royal College of Nursing (RCN) survey of 24,370 nurses found that 85% had had at least one dose, with the remaining 15% unvaccinated.
The RCN said scaling that 15% up to its 450,000-strong membership suggested an estimated 75,000 nurses had still not had their initial jab.
“It is extremely worrying that, as our survey suggests, many thousands of nursing staff have yet to be given their Covid-19 vaccine less than a week before the government’s deadline,” said Dame Donna Kinnair, the RCN’s chief executive and general secretary.
“With only days to go, every effort must be made to reach all nursing staff to ensure their protection and that of the patients and vulnerable people they care for.”
The college said it was critical that all nurses had a Covid vaccine so that they, their families and patients were protected, adding that any nurse left unvaccinated was “a risk to themselves and those they care for”.
The Tories are, of course, extremely relaxed about the system. Well, why shouldn’t they be? They’ve already killed off more than 100,000 of us so they’re unlikely to be worried about many more, even if they are much-needed medical professionals.
The government spokesperson didn’t even mention nurses in response to the Guardian‘s request for a comment:
The Department of Health and Social Care said it was following the joint committee on vaccination and immunisation’s advice and would have offered everyone in the top four priority groups a vaccine by next week.
A spokesperson said: “This includes temporary, agency and voluntary workers who are at an increased risk of contracting or transmitting the virus to other people particularly vulnerable to Covid-19, as well as to other staff in a healthcare environment.
“The NHS is working at pace to vaccinate these groups and we are on track to offer a vaccination to everyone in these first four priority groups by mid-February.”
If they can’t even refer to nurses directly, it gives This Writer no confidence at all that they’ll actually do any of the things they claim. And you?
Have YOU donated to my crowdfunding appeal, raising funds to fight false libel claims by TV celebrities who should know better? These court cases cost a lot of money so every penny will help ensure that wealth doesn’t beat justice.
Vox Political needs your help!
If you want to support this site
(but don’t want to give your money to advertisers)
you can make a one-off donation here:
Here are four ways to be sure you’re among the first to know what’s going on.
1) Register with us by clicking on ‘Subscribe’ (in the left margin). You can then receive notifications of every new article that is posted here.
2) Follow VP on Twitter @VoxPolitical
3) Like the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/VoxPolitical/
Join the Vox Political Facebook page.
4) You could even make Vox Political your homepage at http://voxpoliticalonline.com
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
If you have appreciated this article, don’t forget to share it using the buttons at the bottom of this page. Politics is about everybody – so let’s try to get everybody involved!
Buy Vox Political books so we can continue
fighting for the facts.
The Livingstone Presumption is now available
in either print or eBook format here:
Health Warning: Government! is now available
in either print or eBook format here:
The first collection, Strong Words and Hard Times,
is still available in either print or eBook format here: