Help is available for people suffering Universal Credit-related money problems

Local councils have a duty to provide help for people with no income due to delays in Universal Credit payments – but they aren’t telling anyone.

Vox Political reader has written in as follows:

“With Christmas on our doorstep, the Universal Credit roll-out is going ahead as planned with people being changed over at the beginning of December, which could leave families with little to no money for up to 12 weeks.

“Please ensure that anyone you know who is struggling understands that THERE IS HELP.

If your money is stopped/late/delayed you can go to the council and fill in a Nil Income form.

“That will reinstate rent and council tax [they mean housing benefit and council tax reduction] and give access to further help like meter credits, food bank vouchers and emergency cash payments.

This info is not readily available sadly and it should be. The authorities will only deal with it if you ask specifically which is a disgrace.

“So if your benefits have been sanctioned or if you suffer cash flow problems from UC, then remember help is still available.

Also … never vote Tory again.

Vox Political needs your help!
If you want to support this site
but don’t want to give your money to advertisers)
you can make a one-off donation here:

Donate Button with Credit Cards

Here are four ways to be sure you’re among the first to know what’s going on.

1) Register with us by clicking on ‘Subscribe’ (in the left margin). You can then receive notifications of every new article that is posted here.

2) Follow VP on Twitter @VoxPolitical

3) Like the Facebook page at

Join the Vox Political Facebook page.

4) You could even make Vox Political your homepage at

And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!

If you have appreciated this article, don’t forget to share it using the buttons at the bottom of this page. Politics is about everybody – so let’s try to get everybody involved!

Buy Vox Political books so we can continue
fighting for the facts.

The Livingstone Presumption is now available
in either print or eBook format here:

HWG PrintHWG eBook

Health Warning: Government! is now available
in either print or eBook format here:

HWG PrintHWG eBook

The first collection, Strong Words and Hard Times,
is still available in either print or eBook format here:


9 thoughts on “Help is available for people suffering Universal Credit-related money problems

  1. Gary fox

    Please delete this info. It is totally incorrect and misleading. There are no magic “nil income” claim forms in local councils. You can apply for housing benefit on a nil income basis……but if you are on universal credit or applied for it then you can’t get HB anyway. Even if you get hb on nil income basis, it doesnt entitle you to fuel, food, living expenses or sweets for your unicorn. You are sending people on a wild goose chase and it’s pretty disgraceful of you to be honest.

  2. alison warner

    This is in fact fake news – local councils do have a nil income form – this is to claim Housing Benefit if you have no resources – however, if you have a live Universal Credit claim – no matter how late your payment your local authority WILL NOT help with rent – local authorities may provide a voucher for the food bank and some can help you to access charitable funds. Bit filling in a nil income form is not going to help with anything – please stop sharing this – it just wastes people’s time and energy

  3. dean stockton

    I already know about NIL INCOME FORMS I advise everyone to fill one in if they get kicked off ESA. sanctioned or a delay in benefits

  4. Kevin Bolt

    This information is incorrect and is just giving people false hope and just wasting their time. As Welfare Benefit Advisers we have to divert resources away from helping people every time this post comes up.

    If you have made a claim for UC the conversation with the council will be:

    You: Here’s my Nil Income form
    Council: Have you claimed UC?
    You: Yes
    Council: Then your housing costs are covered by the housing element of UC

    The other scenario if your JSA/ESA is sanctioned will be:

    You: I’ve been sanctioned here’s my Nil Income form
    Council: What’s that for
    You: So that you can pay my HB
    Council: WE already do. If you are sanctioned it doesn’t affect your HB as per HB circular U1/2015 so there is no need to fill in a nil income form

    1. Mike Sivier Post author

      So you’re saying councils are directed to make matters worse? That’s useful to know.

      Let’s have some comments from people who have tried this.

Comments are closed.